GHSA uses two softball complexes to play regular season and post season games through league play.
Hez Ray Fields
2120 Lathrop St.
Fairbanks, AK 99701
The Hez Ray Sports Complex is named after Hez Houston Ray, a can-do teacher who came to Fairbanks in 1952. His friends called him an “irresistible force,” when advocating for youth sports, and he was well-known for his unusual and concerted efforts to get any job done. One of his most complex—and famous—schemes involved the development of the Big Dipper Ice Arena that now resides at the Hez Ray Sports Complex. The Big Dipper was once a World War II Lend-Lease hangar that was located in Tanacross, Alaska. In 1968, Hez Ray spearheaded the effort to disassemble the building and fly it to Fairbanks for resurrection as Fairbanks’ first indoor ice arena. Hez Ray went on to become the City’s Recreation Director and then the first Fairbanks North Star Borough (FNSB) Director of Parks & Recreation. A bronze plaque at the Big Dipper commemorates his passion for youthsports. The Hez Ray Sports Complex has continued to expand over the years and now includes a wide range of sports and recreation facilities including an adult softball complex.
South Davis Park
1720 25th Avenue
Fairbanks AK, 99701
In 1999, the Fairbanks North Star Borough Department of Parks and Recreation, in partnership with five local sports non-profits, began the development of South Davis Park. Though the park is still a work in progress, it is used daily throughout the summer by soccer, softball, and canine enthusiasts. Construction of sports fields, playgrounds, and a series of walking trails began in the summer of 2004 with the tent pole of the complex, the softball fields, being completed in the summer of 2011.
South Davis Park has five unique recreational areas:
- The Fairbanks Dog Park is a canine paradise with two exercise and training pens for local dogs and visitors alike. The Dog Park also has a pond for water-dog training, and a series of meandering trails that are traveled by many Fairbanksans—with or without their canine companions.
- Like most communities across the U.S, soccer is the #1 youth sport in Fairbanks. The 21 fields across the street from South Davis Park aren’t enough handle the growing need. So, the Fairbanks Youth Soccer Association constructed six additional at South Davis Park with plans to develop four more fields in the coming years.
- Not to be outdone, the Interior Adult Soccer Association is constructing three adult soccer fields at the park as well.
- Softball is big in Fairbanks. To support their burgeoning numbers, the Golden Heart Softball Association is constructing three adult softball fields at the park, in addition to their four home fields across the street at the Hez Ray Sports Complex.
- If fast-pitch softball is your passion, there are five fields and a multi-purpose field house at South Davis Park constructed by the Interior Girls Softball Association.
The South Davis Softball complex is located off S Davis Rd across from the Hex Ray Fields. Access is off Lathrop St driving from the Big Dipper Ice Arena past the S Davis intersection on the right.